Click on link to go to sponsor’s website
Registration opens mid-late November, 2019.
Go to 2020 Contest Task Topics
Join with university students, faculty, environmental professionals, and informed citizens who are working together to change the world in the ultimate engineering capstone event!
About the Contest
Each year since 1991, students competing in the WERC Environmental Design Contest are awarded over $30k in cash prizes for their solutions to engineering tasks posed by industry partners and government agencies.
Students hone their teamwork skills while solving challenging real-world problems. Their solutions are judged by engineering professionals through research papers, oral presentations, and bench-scale demonstrations. At the contest, students network with experts from academia, government, and industry. The rigorous requirements of the contest helps develop an entrepreneurial mindset in the students. and helps engineering departments meet all 7 ABET benchmarks.
Get Involved in 2020!
• Join a team of students: Ask a faculty member at your college/university to gather/sponsor a team.
• Become a Sponsor: Sponsor environmental engineering education, with the option to submit your company’s idea for a task.
• Become a Judge: Mentor the next generation of professionals and meet top students to recruit to your company.
• Become a Faculty Advisor: Form teams of your students to compete in challenging real-world capstone projects that satisfy ABET outcomes and are judged by impartial engineering professionals.
• Become an informed citizen: The Las Cruces Community is invited to tour the Bench Scale demonstrations and attend oral presentations–Learn more about how today’s environmental challenges are being solved!
- Competition held April 5-8, 2020 in Las Cruces, NM
- Team registration opens November 2019
- Tasks for 2020 have been posted!
The WERC program originally began as the Waste-management Education Research Consortium and partnered with NM research universities, Sandia National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Dine College.
Administratively located at New Mexico State University, the program focused on the development of comprehensive and innovative solutions to world-wide environmental challenges.
In 2016, the WERC Design Contest became part of the College’s official outreach division where it continues to address multidisciplinary water, energy, and environmental outreach services to the nation and the world through dynamic leadership, technology advancement, industrial/academic/governmental partnerships, and workforce readiness.
WERC Success Story
College senior, Gina Lombardi was discouraged by both the lack of environmental engineering jobs in her area and from the feeling that she couldn’t keep up with some engineering students who pulled a 4.0 average and scored 100% on every test.
Her outlook changed significantly after participating in NMSU’s WERC Design Contest. “There are many ways to be successful aside from, or in addition to a GPA. Those student engineers with work ethic, social and communication skills, organization, and drive to succeed–they will succeed,” Gina says. “WERC saved me in engineering and kept me in the field. I realized I have a spectrum of other strengths that make me a successful environmental engineer and colleague.”
Thank you! to the Sponsors who make this happen!
2019 Gold Sponsor
2019 Silver Sponsor
Social Media: Click here.
Your WERC account is where to go for registration, report submissions, scoring results.
The 30th WERC Environmental Design Contest
–The Ultimate Engineering Capstone Event–
April 5-8, 2020