|Each task will require a separate written report addressing the proposed full-scale design. The paper must, at a minimum, include the following:
- task identification
- full-scale design description
- bench-scale/prototype lab results
- waste generation considerations
- technical evaluation
1. The paper is limited to 26 pages and must include:
- A report cover identifying the school and task (not included in the page limit)
- A title page (counted as the first page)
- A table of contents
- An executive summary (maximum of two pages) highlighting the proposed solution
- The report body
- Photographs, line drawings and graphs are permitted for illustrative purposes (included in the page limit)
- References pages (included in the page limit)
- Audits (see #2 below) are not included in the page limit.
The report should be non-proprietary and omit product trade names. Keep in mind, the paper will be photocopied in black and white for the judges during the contest.
2. University teams are required to have a separate audit to address each of the following: economics, health and legal issues. The audits should be made by professionals involved in the specific field. These audits will not be counted as part of your page limit. The audits can be made by faculty members, industrial representatives, experts, doctoral students, etc. For scoring purposes and ease of reading, the audits should be limited to 1-2 pages (not an edited copy of your paper).
3. All papers will become the property of WERC and may be used for publication, technology development and/or distribution. Proper credit will be given to the originating authors and schools.
Written Report Specifications
The following instructions are to be followed in preparation of your paper.
- The paper length should not exceed 26 pages.
- Use of laser or ink jet printers is recommended.
Times, Times New Roman, or TMS Roman (If unavailable, a similar type with serifs is preferred over sans serif).
Size: 12 point
Major Headings: 12 point, Bold
Title: 14 point, Bold
- Margin settings:
Cover page (Title page)
Title: 2″ top margin
Centered (school name, team name, task number, advisor name and team member names)
Top and bottom margins – 1″
Right and left margins – 1″
- Each page of the written report must have a footer that includes the task number and the name of the participating school.
- Use 1.5 line spacing
- Paper: White, 8 ½” X 11″
- Title: Center, upper case, bold; 14 point type
- Major Headings: Left justify, upper case, bold; 12 point type
- Subheadings: 1 tab (5 spaces); bold, 12 point type
- Sub-subheadings: 2 tabs (10 spaces); underline, 12 point type
- List and number all bibliographical references at the end of the paper.
- When referring to references in the text, type the corresponding reference number in superscript form.
- Enclose equation numbers in parentheses
- Center bottom of the page
Symbols and Abbreviations
- Use only standard symbols and abbreviations in text and illustrations.
Illustrations, Drawings and Photographs
- Line drawings and photographs should be reduced to proper size and placed as close to where they are referenced as possible.
- All lines should be black on white paper and heavy enough to be legible.
- All lettering should be large enough to be legible.
- Original illustrations should not exceed 8.5″ X 11″.
- Omit all unessential illustrations.
Written Report Submission
Each team must submit a single PDF of the complete report (including the audits) and a separate PDF of the Executive Summary as email attachments to email@example.com by the due date. The PDF copy of the full report will be used for web-based scoring, so it must include all elements – including the audits.
For schools participating in multiple tasks, a report for each task must be sent as a separate attachment (i.e. for a school participating in Tasks 1 and 2 please send two separate emails one for the Task 1 report and one for the Task 2 report).
The email with the PDF attachments must be received in the WERC office by the due date. Late reports will be penalized at a rate of 25 points per day. Faxed copies will not be accepted.
*Hard copies are no longer required as part of the submittal requirements.*
General Written Report Judging Criteria
- Overall quality, thoroughness, technical depth and clarity
- Quality and clarity of Executive Summary
- Engineering and scientific basis
- Equipment and process selection
- Discussion of legal, health and worker safety
- Discussion of process monitoring
- Discussion of bench-scale results, testing and evaluation
- Economic analysis
- Public involvement
- Professional audits
- Other issues as specified in your selected task
An example of a best paper can be found here (does not include audits).