The links below provide detailed instructions for task deliverables, including general information, technical criteria and judging criteria.
Each year, the WERC Design Contest and its sponsors award more than $25,000 in prizes in the following categories.
Amounts shown are minimum amounts and may increase, according to funding.
- Task awards (First, Second, Third Place; minimum amounts: $2500-$1000-$500, respectively).
The number of awards will depend on the number of entries in each task.
Awards are based on the judging rubric for written, oral, poster, and bench-scale components.
- Freeport-McMoRan Innovation in Sustainability Award ($2500)
The selection process centers primarily on the bench-scale demonstrations and identifies the final product or solution that best contributes to sustainability.
- WERC Resources Center Pollution Prevention/Energy Efficiency Award ($500)
Recognizes the team that best utilizes the concepts of P2 (pollution prevention) and E2 (energy efficiency) in their solution. Primary considerations: Reduction/elimination of waste, greenhouse gases, hazardous materials; Conservation of water and air; utilization of sustainable materials; energy efficiency.
- Judges’ Choice Award ($500)
- Peer Award ($250). Voted by all students who participate in the contest.
- Terry McManus Outstanding Student Award. (Minimum: $500, according to funding).
All participating students are eligible for the Award. Recipients chosen based on letter from Faculty Advisor.