- 1 The 30th Environmental Design Contest
- 2 –The Ultimate Engineering Capstone Event–
- 3 April 5-8, 2020
- 4 Archives from prior contests
The 30th Environmental Design Contest
–The Ultimate Engineering Capstone Event–
April 5-8, 2020
Since 1991, the competition has been held annually at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, New Mexico, drawing hundreds of college students from throughout the United States and around the world. Many professors return year-after-year because of the unique opportunities for their students.
Students take the lead as consulting engineers, working in teams to solve challenging tasks and report their findings through research papers, oral presentations, and bench-scale demonstrations.
What sets us apart
- We provide real-world environmental problems that face industry right now.
- Teams of students build working bench-scale models that we independently test at the contest.
- Engineering professionals judge the contest and discuss with each team the finer points of design, including consideration of engineering design, economic and logistical feasibility, regulations, and public policy.
- The contest is an excellent real-world capstone design course that prepares students for industry and is an important part of ABET accreditation.
At the WERC Environmental Design Contest, students:
- Address real-world environmental problems.
- Develop skills in teamwork. Multidisciplinary teams are encouraged
- Work as consulting engineers.
- Prepare research papers suitable for publication.
- Develop fully operational bench-scale models of their technologies.
- Learn from judges who are the top environmental professionals in their field.
- Network with experts from academia, government, and industry.
- Further develop technologies into marketable projects.
- Speak to varied audiences, discussing their designs with engineers, as well as visitors from the Las Cruces community
- Win awards and cash prizes totaling over $30k each year.
- Judges are environmental experts from government, academia, and business.
- Faculty appreciate the professional judging that prepares students for careers.
- WERC provides the judges’ feedback to participants after the contest. (Typical Feedback letter)
- Judges’ feedback has become an important part of ABET accreditation.
Registration begins November 1, 2019
Early Bird Registration Discounts through December 18, 2019
Regular Registration through January 24, 2020
Late Registration ends Feb. 3, 2020