In the spirit of educating engineers who are flexible and can rise to ever-changing situations in the workplace, the WERC Environmental Design Contest will celebrate its 30th year by conducting its competition online. The students hav e worked hard on their designs. Some have working prototypes, some have did not complete them before being asked to leave their campuses.
As judges, we ask you to pledge to provide a valuable learning experience to this special group of students who is forging ahead with the contest, in spite of significant obstacles.
2020 Judging Events at Las Cruces Farm & Ranch Museum (see table below for more detail):
5 April, Sunday: Arrive at 5 PM for the Welcome Dinner and Judges’ Orientation session. (Dinner provided)
6 April, Monday: 8:30 – 1:00 PM–Judging Oral Presentations (Breakfast & Lunch provided)
7 April, Tuesday: 8:30 – 2:30–Judging Bench-scale Presentations (Breakfast & Lunch provided)
8 April, Wednesday: 9-noon–Tallying scores and visiting with other judges (Lunch provided)
5:30 PM–Awards Ceremony and Dinner (Dinner provided)
We invite Environmental Professionals to join our team of judges April 5-8, 2020
As a judge, you will:
- help develop the next generation of engineers,
- identify solutions to today’s environmental challenges,
- find prospective employees for your company,
- gain your own professional development as you explore student solutions,
- network with other engineering professionals,
- give back to your community
- Volunteers who attend the contest for four days and provide their own transportation and lodging.
- People who have worked in environmental fields as scientists, engineers, regulatory, and/or public relations liaisons.
- People who want to encourage future engineers and introduce them to new ideas and new ways of thinking
Simplified Judging Dates/Locations
Score the written report: March 23 – April 3, 2020. Access online at your convenience.
On-site: April 5-8, 2020. Farm & Ranch Museum, Las Cruces, NM (detailed schedule below).
We have a great selection of tasks for 2020:
Task 1–Improving PV Module Efficiency Thru Cooling
Task 2–Wireless Soil-Moisture Sensors
Task 3–Heavy Metal Removal via Phycoremediation (Sponsored by Freeport-McMoRan)
Task 4–Fluoride Water Treatment and Recovery (Sponsored by Freeport-McMoRan)
Task 5–Produced Water: Cleanup and Rare Earth Element Recovery
Task 6–Open: Teams identify their own challenge