Each year, the WERC Design Contest and its sponsors award more than $30,000 in cash prizes.
Amounts shown are minimum amounts and may increase, according to funding.
- Task awards ($2500-$1000-$500* for First, Second, Third Place, respectively).
The number of awards will depend on the number of entries in each task.
Awards are based on the judging rubric for written, oral, poster, and bench-scale components.
- Freeport-McMoRan Innovation in Sustainability Award ($2500)
The selection process centers primarily on the bench-scale demonstrations and identifies the final product or solution that best contributes to sustainability.
- WERC Resources Center Pollution Prevention/Energy Efficiency Award ($500)
Recognizes the team that best utilizes the concepts of P2 (pollution prevention) and E2 (energy efficiency) in their solution.
Primary considerations: Reduction/elimination of waste, greenhouse gases, hazardous materials; Conservation of water and air; utilization of sustainable materials; energy efficiency.
- Judges’ Choice Award ($500)
- Peer Award ($250). Voted by all students who participate in the contest.
- Terry McManus Outstanding Student Award. (Minimum: $500, according to funding).
All participating students are eligible for the Award. Recipients chosen by the contest judges, based on letter from Faculty Advisor.