The 30th Environmental Design Contest will be held April 5-8, 2020
Since 1991, the competition has been held annually at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, New Mexico, drawing hundreds of college students from throughout the United States and around the world.
Students act as consulting engineers, working in teams to solve challenging tasks and report their findings through research papers, oral presentations, and bench-scale demonstrations. The contest makes for an excellent real-world capstone design course that prepares students for industry and is an important part of ABET accreditation for participating universities.
At the WERC Environmental Design Contest, students:
- Address real-world environmental problems.
- Develop skills in teamwork. Multidisciplinary teams are an option.
- Work as consulting engineers.
- Prepare research papers suitable for publication.
- Develop fully operational bench-scale models of their technologies.
- Learn from judges who are the top environmental professionals in their field.
- Network with experts from academia, government, and industry.
- Further develop technologies into marketable projects.
- Win awards and cash prizes totaling over $25k each year.
- Judges are environmental experts from government, academia, and business.
- Faculty appreciate the professional judging that prepares students for careers.
- WERC provides the judges’ feedback to participants after the contest. (Typical Feedback letter)
- Judges’ feedback has become an important part of ABET accreditation.
Early Bird Registration Discounts through December 18, 2019
Regular Registration through January 24, 2020
Late Registration ends Feb. 3, 2020